Masterclass: EPO Oral Proceedings
Heidelberg Pre-Christmas Course 2017
- Dos and Don’ts
- Dealing with Examining and Opposition Divisions
- Procedural pitfalls to avoid
- Appearing before the Boards of Appeal Full-Day Mock Trial Based on EPO Case-Law
- Practical tips on presentation
- Training confident behaviour before the Boards of Appeal
This distinguishes our event
Aims and objectivesOur experts will show you all the different aspects which have to be taken into account when being summoned to Oral Proceedings. It will go from the preparation through to the actual presentation at the Oral Proceedings itself, without neglecting important procedural aspects which can play a determining role. Participants will be shown techniques and rules for successful participation at Oral Proceedings before the EPO. They will be given the legal, technical and practical information essential for being successful not only before Examining/Opposition Divisions, but also before Boards of Appeal. Part of the course will deal with specific aspects to be taken into account when appearing before a Board of Appeal. Procedural aspects become even more important. The programme includes real life situations and a full-day mock trial in which participants can test their skills.
Who should attend?
- Heads and members of patent and IP departments
- Patent attorneys in private practice
Detailed programme30 November - 1 December 2017
- Form of the oral proceedings: preparation of the oral proceedings
- Summons to oral proceedings and annexes to the summons - importance of the annexes
- Is it possible to avoid oral proceedings in the examination proceedings?
- Form of the oral proceedings: the oral proceedings as such
- What may happen if you do not attend?
- Opening of oral proceedings
- The oral proceedings as such: the order of the discussion of the various topics
- The public: which oral proceedings are public/not public
- Final stages of the oral proceedings
- Written and oral submissions: what is their relationship
- Procedural pitfalls to avoid: authorisations
- When they are absolutely needed
- Accompanying persons: their legal status
- Procedural pitfalls to avoid: late filings, especially late filings of documents
- in the examination proceedings, especially with regard to Rule 137
- in the opposition proceedings: multiple opponents (what is allowed/not allowed?); when is late filing allowed?
- Examination by the European Patent Office of its own motion: limits
- Request for different apportionment
- Miscellaneous: recordings, computer presentations
- Dos and don‘ts in oral proceedings
- Specific requirements of the Boards
- Preparation for the oral proceedings
- How to deal with the Boards
- Auxiliary requests
- The Rules of Procedure of the Boards
- Late-filed documents, requests and argumentation
- Postponement of oral proceedings
- Case law: how important is it?
- Petitions for Review
- Participants will work through a real-life situation
- Interactive, role play
- With EPO cases
- Under the guidance of the speakers
- Focus: accompanying persons, late filings
- Training confident behaviour before the Boards
- Practical tips on presentation
Alexander Clelland, European Patent Attorney, was for many years a member of the Boards of Appeal and for 10 years chaired the Board responsible for telecoms and control systems. He is now Consultant with the IP law firm MaucherJenkins. In the course of his 33 year career at the EPO he was involved in numerous oral proceedings.
Daniel X. Thomas, active in IP since 1971, headed a series of directorates at the EPO in various fields of technique, like electronics, medical physics and mechanics. Having chaired several hundreds of opposition proceedings, Daniel X. Thomas is very experienced in oral proceedings.
Chester Convention Center HeidelbergBonhoefferstr. 12
Telefon: +49 6221 9983-700
Fax: +49 6221 9983-704
Limited numbers of attendees
This masterclass is restricted to 20 attendees. This limitation will give participants the opportunity for a thorough discussion of the complex issues to be covered by the programme.
Get prepared for the course!
We will send you training materials prior to the course. Thus, you can prepare the case studies and the mock trial and get the most out of the course.
Christmas Market and Joint Dinner
The Heidelberg Pre-Christmas Courses are a special highlight. They provide participants with an atmosphere that is just as extraordinary as it is relaxed. You will be able to focus completely on the course, then relax in the evening, enjoying the city’s unique pre-Christmas flair. A tour of one of Heidelberg’s famous Christmas markets and a joint dinner with attendees and speakers in one of the city’s traditional restaurants is an integral part of the Heidelberg Pre-Christmas Courses.
Very informative, especially the mock trial.
Lots of practical information and advice you won’t find in any book.
Hands-on advice for handling oral proceedings.
Very useful, good expertise.
Employee Inventions and International R&D
This seminar shall provide a sound overview about different local laws in important countries in EU and beyond with respect to employee invention rights. It shall enable the participants to address complex situations when designing and negotiating agreements for cross-border R&D.
21.11.2017 in München
Intellectual Property Protection for Plant Innovation 20178th International Conference
The 8th edition of this conference offers you once again the most recent developments for the seed industry.
30.11. - 01.12.2017 in Amsterdam
FTO in Practice: Life Sciences & Pharmaceuticals
Many life sciences and pharmaceutical companies (especially generics companies) are forced to operate in a patent jungle which is set to become denser in the years to come.
05.12.2017 in Amsterdam
FTO in Practice: Engineering, Material Science & High Tech
Our experienced speakers will help you to be prepared for FTO challenges when your company or your client wants to introduce new products or enhance existing ones. They will discuss with you best practices for setting up time and cost sensitive FTO searches and drafting effective FTO opinions.
05.12.2017 in Amsterdam
Re-establishment of Rights Proceedings at the EPO
Our speakers will not only give an systematic overview of the most relevant case-law but will also show recent trends.
23.11.2017 in Amsterdam