FTO in Practice: Life Sciences & Pharmaceuticals
- Essentials of FTO: What It Is, When to Do It and How Much It Costs
- How to conduct a FTO Search: Strategies, Scope and Databases
- How to draft a FTO Opinion: Structure, Scope and Liability
- Offensive and Defensive Approaches: Design around, Licensing in/Cross-Licensing and Other Remedies
- FTO from the Perspective of a Life Sciences Company
Aims and objectivesMany life sciences and pharmaceutical companies (especially generics companies) are forced to operate in a patent jungle which is set to become denser in the years to come. In order to be successful on the market, your company or your client needs freedom to operate. Only FTO can ensure that substantial R&D investments are worth the money as the commercial exploitation of their results is not hindered by patent thickets. However, if FTO is poorly executed, your company or your client risk to get deep in the mire of patent litigation. Only if FTO is properly conducted, you will be able to see the need for designing around or licensing in respectively cross-licensing. Attend our course and be prepared for the FTO challenges of any product introduction or improvement. Discuss with our experienced speakers best practices for FTO searches and FTO opinions especially for the pharmaceutical and life sciences industries.
Who should attend?
- R&D Heads/Managers
- IP/Patent Heads/Counsels
- Patent Attorneys in Private Practice
- Business Development Professionals
Detailed programmeTuesday, 5 December 2017 in Amsterdam
- FTO - what it is and what it is not
- Different types of FTO issues: patents, designs, trademarks, contractual obligations
- To FTO or not to FTO: is 'try and see' worth considering?
- Search strategy: purpose of search, level of diligence, costs
- In-house vs. outside counsel: pros and cons
- Patent search parameters: keywords, countries, applicants etc.
- The right databases: searching for patents, SPCs, marketing authorizations, designs and trademarks
- Search analysis and search report: how to structure
- Post search 'watches'
- Workshop: analysis and interpretation of a specific patent claim
- Non-infringement, direct or indirect infringement
- Remedies: assessing validity, prior art search, design around, licensing in/cross-licensing, attacking the patent/application
- Drafting the FTO opinion and how to deal with it
- Co-operation patent counsel - legal counsel: attorney-client privilege
In 2017, Dieter Kuhn joined DSM, a global science-based company active in health, nutrition and materials. Before, he was Head of IP at a Swiss generics company. Dieter is experienced in FTO, patent prosecution and patent litigation in the field of life sciences. He has a technical background in chemistry with a diploma from ETH Zurich and is one of the few European Patent Attorneys with a degree in education.
Dr. Ralph Nack is a German attorney-at-law and a partner at Noerr LLP. He has extensive experience in advising German and international companies on FTO issues, particularly pre-launch product releases. His duties also focus e.g. on German and cross-border patent infringement litigation, international licensing, and R&D contracts.
Amsterdam Marriott HotelStadhouderskade 12
NL 1054 Amsterdam
Telefon: +31 20 6075555
Fax: +31 20 60075511
If your work focusses on engineering, material science or high tech, please attend the respective course at the same location on the same day (webcode 17 12 181).
What our participants say
- 'Excellent!' (Kanika Oswal, Patent Attorney, Novo Nordisk A/S, Bagsvaerd, Denmark)
- 'Excellent speakers!' (Nada Herak, Patent Attorney, Petosevic, Belgrade, Serbia)
- 'Good speaker, examples and slides!' (IP Manager)
- 'Excellent overview of FTO issues and good tips!' (European Patent Attorney)
FTO in Practice: Engineering, Material Science & High Tech
Our experienced speakers will help you to be prepared for FTO challenges when your company or your client wants to introduce new products or enhance existing ones. They will discuss with you best practices for setting up time and cost sensitive FTO searches and drafting effective FTO opinions.
05.12.2017 in Amsterdam
Employee Inventions and International R&D
This seminar shall provide a sound overview about different local laws in important countries in EU and beyond with respect to employee invention rights. It shall enable the participants to address complex situations when designing and negotiating agreements for cross-border R&D.
21.11.2017 in München
Masterclass: EPO Oral ProceedingsHeidelberg Pre-Christmas Course 2017
This course will lead participants through all essential steps in preparing for Oral Proceedings. The first part of the day is devoted to the patent granting procedure and opposition. The second part will prepare you for a better presentation before the Boards of Appeal. The day will be completed with case studies and role simulations guided by our excellent speakers.
30.11. - 01.12.2017 in Heidelberg
Intellectual Property Protection for Plant Innovation 20178th International Conference
The 8th edition of this conference offers you once again the most recent developments for the seed industry.
30.11. - 01.12.2017 in Amsterdam
Re-establishment of Rights Proceedings at the EPO
Our speakers will not only give an systematic overview of the most relevant case-law but will also show recent trends.
23.11.2017 in Amsterdam