2.5 days intensive spring special course
- Change IP management away from ad-hoc approaches
- DIPS Matrix: analyzing relevant facts, generating options for a strategic choice
- DIPS Methodology: making IP plans with a multi-disciplinary approach (competition mapping, SWOT, metrics, planning)
- Opportunity to work either on paper (forms) or with online tool
- Customizing DIPS tools to your (client’s) company
- Practical tips based on actual implementation of the tools with respect to (client’s) company’s IP maturity
Aims and objectivesDo you need to set up an IP strategy plan? Do you need to convince executives of the plan? Our interactive course provides you with the necessary tools. After a systematic overview of IP strategy (options, value, content), our speakers give you two practical tools: (1) an IP Matrix and (2) a step-by-step methodology called DIPS (Design IP Strategy) to outline a strategic plan for IP (the emphasis is on patents). An online tool is also introduced to make implementing DIPS easier.
The IP Matrix is the starting point. The DIPS methodology provides techniques to map the competition and to benchmark the performance of your current IP portfolio. After this practical and hands-on course, you will be able to apply the IP Matrix and the DIPS methodology immediately to your daily practice and you will know how to set up, present, implement and monitor an IP plan step by step.
- Directors and Managers responsible for IP strategy
- Research Directors and other IP/IA Managers
- Experienced IP professionals
- Patent Attorney trainees
- Innovation /R&D managers, including from SMEs
- IP law firms including those acting as external/outsourced IP manager for their SME clients
- Learn the ‘Matrix of IA Strategy Options’. Link to IA Management (IAM)
- Apply the Matrix to actual industry scenarios
- Prepare the case study - 'renewable energy'
- Opportunity to work with DIPS Online platform. Working on paper (with forms) is also possible.
- Build a strategic IA plan. Learn step-by-step methodology to link IP with R&D and business. Link to the Matrix.
- Apply to case study 'renewable energy'
- IP mapping techniques: Analysis of patent data (lifecycle, competition, etc.)
- Revisit the Matrix through the competition landscape
- Gap analysis with the Matrix: Comparing business vision to competition/own IA
- Derive actions to bridge current-desired IP position
- Estimate budget needs for R&D and IP
- Define IP KPIs to report future success. Assess IP Returns (first patent filings, IA profit etc.)
- Prioritize actions to define an IP roadmap. Make different scenarios.
- Integrating outputs of Steps 1-4 into a practical, rationalized plan. Use the Matrix as common framework
- Positioning, actions and measurement
- Differentiate core vs. non-core activity for higher performance
- Prepare the presentation of your plan to management.
- Teams present their plan to the group and get feedback (online questionnaire - a collective learning report will be issued after the seminar for each team, with benchmark against more than 200+ priori participants)
- Experience sharing from real examples
- Two cases from practice (teamwork): (1) mapping large portfolio and probing goals (2) providing strategic support in case of a growing portfolio
- Techniques to reapply (part of) DIPS methodology depending on (client’s) company’s priorities
- Tips for in-house counsels, tips for external counsels
Dr. Arnaud Gasnier is CEO, a Senior Consultant and Founder of Patentopolis BV specialized in training/certifications, solutions and consulting in the area of IP management. Arnaud has practiced globally in various IP (patents, trademarks) departments and in various roles (Patent Attorney, Licensing Associate, Portfolio Manager, Associate General Counsel, Assistant Director) for the last 16 years, e.g. for Swatch, Philips, Dutch contract research organization TNO, and Adidas. He is the author of ‘The Patenting Paradox’ and regular speaker at global conferences and seminars especially in the area of strategic IP management.
Nähere Informationen finden Sie hier.
Romano Beitsma is a Consultant for Patentopolis BV. He has over 25 years of experience in the field of IP, having worked at companies and patent firms, both in the Netherlands and the United Kingdom.
Nähere Informationen finden Sie hier.
Telefon: +49 6221 515-0
Fax: +49 6221 515-506
We will send you a reader with details and instructions prior to the course. Thus, you can prepare the case studies and other assignments and get the most out of the course. 2 to 3 hours of preparation is suggested.
On the first evening of the course FORUM · Institut für Management GmbH is pleased to invite the participants to a behind-the-scenes tour in the beautiful castle of Heidelberg, followed by a joint dinner in a traditional and cosy Heidelberg restaurant.
- Personalized collective feedback report for each team, based on individual feedback given during Day 3, and benchmarked against 200+ former participants.
- Free access to online portal DIPS for 1 month after the seminar. Online DIPS is an online platform to help companies, as well as consultancy and law firms, to design strategic plans for innovation generation, protection and exploitation. It helps collect and format multidisciplinary data on the (client’s) company. It provides support for data analysis using Patentopolis proven frameworks. It guides decision-making to elaborate a plan ready for implementation.
- Discount for certification DIPS: You can keep the focus with an in-house project after the seminar. During that project, you apply the Patentopolis’ frameworks to your own case, with guidance, review and final approval by the Patentopolis team. You start when you want. The recommended duration is 3 months. Upon completion, you receive a certification from Patentopolis.
Patentopolis B.V. Patentopolis BV is a unique provider specialized in innovation and IP management. We provide: learning solutions with innovative models and crossdisciplinarity tools; online solutions for daily management support; and consulting services for operational and strategic management of IP/innovation. We have a global presence and serve a great diversity of clients (corporates, SMEs, IP firms, consultancies, research organizations, patent offices and more). Patentopolis is regularly recognized with IP management firm awards from its peers in the industry.
'What I liked the most from this 2.5-day course on IP strategy is the methodology DIPS for strategy making since it is very
practical. This Patentopolis methodology gives a path to follow where to start, as well as how to analyse data and
interact with other functions during the planning phase and after.'
'IP strategy is essential for business success, and I don’t want to rely on just gut feeling or hope as a strategy. Therefore, it
makes sense to follow an effective methodology like DIPS of Patentopolis, since this is a well-structured, clear and logical
approach. Highly recommended!'
'This 2.5-day course on IP strategy is an important milestone for me and my company. The tools provided during this extensive course will allow me to apply the methodology DIPS of Patentopolis in IP strategy project for my company. I will recommend this course mainly to IP managers having limited IP experience with strategy-making. It gives a lot of materials on the methodology DIPS and also an opportunity for data crunching, which is exactly what I was looking for.’
'Patentopolis course on IP strategy was up to my expectations and as defined during the first hour of the course. The DIPS® matrix and methodology is a very powerful toolkit, which helps to visualize how to capture value and where to invest budget and resources in areas which are relevant to the company. At the same time, it is a simple tool which can be practically implemented in my company and is effective for conveying relevant IAM aspects to managers. I very much enjoyed the course and particularly its hands-on exercise approach. Thanks to the course, I have now a more realistic view of what IP strategy is.'
'There is a real need for many companies to get a structured approach to IP strategy. That’s exactly what Patentopolis course on
IP strategy offers'
Our speaker, one of the leading SPC experts in Europe, will discuss the referrals with you. He will put the decisions in context and will show you the consequences for national court practice and for your application practice.
15. - 16.05.2018 in Amsterdam
Our speakers will not only give an systematic overview of the most relevant case-law but will also show recent trends with regards to re-establishment of rights proceedings at the EPO.
18.05.2018 in Amsterdam
This course will outline the principles of licensing and examine every stage, from taking the decision to license, through negotiation to an in-depth analysis of an international license to what happens after the agreement has been signed.
31.05. - 01.06.2018 in Amsterdam
Computer-implemented inventions are now wide-spread in areas such as telecommunications, automotive or medical engineering. Drafting patent claims and IP strategies for software innovations show considerable differences in detail. Learn the particularities and train to draft better claims for software innovations!
14.06.2018 in Amsterdam
Learn how to write software patent applications which get granted and are infringed upon! This course will give you the best practical tips to improve your skills in drafting claims for software patents. Apply your knowledge in a practical test including feedback from our speaker, an experienced litigation expert.
15.06.2018 in Amsterdam