2.5 days intensive spring special course
- Be more proactive, away from ad-hoc approaches
- DIPS Matrix: analyzing relevant facts, generating options for a strategic choice
- DIPS Methodology: making IP plans with a multi-disciplinary approach (competition mapping, SWOT, metrics, planning)
- Opportunity to work either on paper (forms) or with online tool
- Reapply the tools for direct practice depending on (client‘s) company maturity/readiness
- Gradual approach (current portfolio mapping, understand the business and management goals, etc.)
Aims and objectivesDo you need to set up an IP strategy plan? Do you need to convince executives of the plan? Our interactive course provides you with the necessary tools. After a systematic overview of IP strategy (options, value, content), our speakers give you two practical tools: (1) an IP Matrix and (2) a step-by-step methodology called DIPS (Design IP Strategy) to outline a strategic plan for IP (the emphasis is on patents). An online tool is also introduced to ease implementation. The IP Matrix is the starting point. The DIPS methodology provides techniques to map the competition and to benchmark the performance of your current IP portfolio. After this practical and hands-on course, you will be able to apply the IP Matrix and the DIPS methodology immediately to your daily practice and you will know how to set up, present, implement and monitor an IP plan step by step.
- Fundamentals on IP management and strategy. Compare opportunistic vs. proactive. Key strategy models e.g. Porter
- Learn the DIPS Matrix as strategy-thinking tool to integrate business, innovation and IP
- Teamwork: apply the DIPS Matrix to actual cross-industry scenarios. Takeaways to reapply to own environment
- Build a strategic plan. Learn a step-by-step methodology to prepare an IP/innovation plan and monitor its execution. Link to the Matrix
- Apply to case study - ‘renewable energy’
- Strategy-making as a project: insights from project management, scoping, and team setting
- Understand the business model
- Translate management goals into IP strategy options for value creation/capture
- IP mapping techniques: Analysis of patent data (lifecycle, competition etc.)
- Revisit the Matrix through the competition landscape
- Link to the value chain
- Gap analysis with the Matrix: Comparing business vision to competition/own IA
- Derive actions to bridge current-desired IP position
- SWOT analysis using the gap analysis and market data (incl. others’ IP) formatted with Matrix to realize alignment
- Prioritize actions to define an IP roadmap. Make different scenarios
- Define KPIs to report future success. Assess IP Returns (first patent filings, IA profit etc.)
- Estimate budget needs for R&D and IP
- Integrating outputs of the prioritized SWOT analysis into a practical, rationalized plan. Plan template provided
- Differentiate core vs. non-core activity for higher performance
- Prepare and present your plan to management.
- Presentation template provided
- Teams present their plan to the group and get feedback (online questionnaire - a collective learning report will be issued after the seminar for each team, with benchmark against 350+ prior participants)
- Strategy reports: other formats and examples
- Identifying and facing complexity in situations. Flexibility of DIPS tools. Gradual approach with real-life situations
- Teamwork: identify generic situations, first diagnostic, and design solutions using DIPS tools. Present and group discussion
- Final recommendations and tips
Dr. Arnaud Gasnier is CEO, a Senior Consultant and Founder of Patentopolis BV specialized in training/certifications, solutions and consulting in the area of IP management. Arnaud has practiced globally in various IP (patents, trademarks) departments and in various roles (Patent Attorney, Licensing Associate, Portfolio Manager, Associate General Counsel, Assistant Director) for 20+ years, e.g. for Swatch, Philips, Dutch contract research organization TNO, and Adidas. He is the author of ‘The Patenting Paradox’ and regular speaker at global conferences and seminars especially in the area of strategic IP management. Arnaud is regularly awarded, recently with IAM 300 - The World’s Leading IP Strategists (2017, 2018).
Nähere Informationen finden Sie hier.
Telefon: +49 6221 515-0
Fax: +49 6221 515-506
We will send you a reader with details and instructions prior to the course. Thus, you can prepare the case studies and other assignments and get the most out of the course. 2 to 3 hours of preparation is suggested.
- Personalized collective feedback report for each team, based on individual feedback given during Day 3, and benchmarked against 350+ former participants.
- Free access to online portal DIPS for 1 month after the seminar. Online DIPS is an online platform to help companies, as well as consultancy and law firms, to design strategic
plans for innovation generation, protection and exploitation. It helps collect and format multidisciplinary data on the (client’s) company. It provides support for data analysis
using Patentopolis proven frameworks. It guides decision-making to elaborate a plan ready for implementation.
- Discount for certification DIPS: You can keep the focus with an in-house project after the seminar. During that project, you apply the Patentopolis’ frameworks to your own
case, with guidance, review and final approval by the Patentopolis team. You start when you want. The recommended duration is 3 months. Upon completion, you receive a
certification from Patentopolis.
Patentopolis BV is a unique provider specialized in innovation and IP management. We provide: learning solutions with innovative models and crossdisciplinarity tools; online solutions for daily management support; and consulting services for operational and strategic management of IP/innovation. We have a global presence and serve a great diversity of clients (corporates, SMEs, IP firms, consultancies, research organizations, patent offices and more). Patentopolis is regularly recognized with IP management firm awards from its peers in the industry.
On the first evening of the course FORUM · Institut für Management GmbH is pleased to invite the participants to a behind-the-scenes tour in the beautiful castle of Heidelberg, followed by a joint dinner in a traditional and cosy Heidelberg restaurant.
'I attended the Patentopolis strategy seminar 18 months ago and found the content very interesting and important. I have started
IP-strategy discussions with several clients and we started corresponding projects. My experience is that it takes a ‘change
of mindset’ for IP-Managers and CTOs/CEOs of SMEs to discuss on the IP strategy level. The insight I got from the Patentopolis
seminar helped me to keep the discussions with the clients on track. Also, the projects with the clients helped me to improve the
understanding of what they really need. Still, it takes a lot of time and patience to reach the goal of such strategy projects in SMEs. In that process, Patentopolis strategy seminar and tools are unique and I learnt a lot there to get to a practical useful end.'
Equity Partner, Keller & Partner Patentanwälte AG (Switzerland)
'Patentopolis course on IP strategy was up to my expectations and as defined during the first hour of the course. The DIPS® matrix and methodology is a very powerful toolkit, which helps to visualize how to capture value and where to invest budget and resources in areas which are relevant to the company. At the same time, it is a simple tool which can be practically implemented in my company and is effective for conveying relevant IAM aspects to managers. I very much enjoyed the course and particularly its hands-on exercise approach. Thanks to the course, I have now a more realistic view of what IP strategy is.'
'There is a real need for many companies to get a structured approach to IP strategy. That’s exactly what Patentopolis course on
IP strategy offers'
Onsagers AS (Norway)
'What I liked the most from this 2.5-day course on IP strategy is the methodology DIPS for strategy making since it is very practical. This Patentopolis methodology gives a path to follow where to start, as well as how to analyse data and interact with other functions during the planning phase and after.'
ABB AB (Sweden)
'IP strategy is essential for business success, and I don’t want to rely on just gut feeling or hope as a strategy. Therefore, it makes
sense to follow an effective methodology like DIPS of Patentopolis, since this is a well-structured, clear and logical approach.
Evonik Nutrition & Care (Germany)
'This 2.5-day course on IP strategy is an important milestone for me and my company. The tools provided during this extensive
course will allow me to apply the methodology DIPS of Patentopolis in IP strategy project for my company. I will recommend this
course mainly to IP managers having limited IP experience with strategy-making. It gives a lot of materials on the methodology DIPS and also an opportunity for data crunching, which is exactly what I was looking for.'
IP Manager, Landa Corporation (Israel)
Computer-implemented inventions are now wide-spread in areas such as telecommunications, automotive or medical engineering. Drafting patent claims and IP strategies for software innovations show considerable differences in detail. Learn the particularities and train to draft better claims for software innovations!
06.06.2019 in Amsterdam
Learn how to write software patent applications which get granted and are infringed upon! This course will give you the best practical tips to improve your skills in drafting claims for software patents. Apply your knowledge in a practical test including feedback from our speaker, an experienced litigation expert.
07.06.2019 in Amsterdam
This course will outline the principles of licensing and examine every stage, from taking the decision to license, through negotiation to an in-depth analysis of an international license to what happens after the agreement has been signed.
05. - 06.06.2019 in Amsterdam
This course will lead participants through all essential steps in preparing for Oral Proceedings. The first part of the day is devoted to the patent granting procedure and opposition. The second part will prepare you for a better presentation before the Boards of Appeal. The day will be completed with case studies and role simulations guided by our excellent speakers.
04. - 05.06.2019 in Amsterdam
This course provides drafting and negotiating advice for EU practitioners, with precise references to existing US law.
04. - 05.06.2019 in Heidelberg