EP Claim Drafting Workshop: Chemistry & Life Sciences
- FORUM!Live: interactive online course on 3 days, each day with about 4 hours course time
- EP claim drafting: tips and tricks; pitfalls to avoid
- Drafting specialized and complex claims
- Extensive drafting exercise
- Recent case law, early certainty, Brexit and Unitary Patent Court and possible impact on claim drafting
- 'International' claims, in particular for the US and Asia
- Office actions: intensive analysis and drafting effective replies
Aims and objectivesOur advanced course in claim drafting provides you with the knowledge you need in order to draft strong patent claims. It is intended for participants with prior knowledge. You will be able to deepen the knowledge acquired in daily practice.
Our speaker will give you tips and tricks on EP claim drafting and will show you which pitfalls to avoid. Improve your claim drafting skills in our claim drafting workshop with cases based on recent EPO decisions and train how to draft effective replies to official letters.
Then this course is intended for you. Knowledge of patents is required.
10 and 11 June: 13:00-18:00 respectively,
12 June: 13:00-17:30
- Drafting of independent specialized and complex patent claims - tips and tricks, pitfalls to avoid
- How to formulate the technical problem and the advantages of the invention
- US: claims and eligibility, best mode, file wrapper estoppels; Outlook to Asia
- Case studies in view of recent EPO case-law
- Examples from the fields of chemical, pharmaceutical and other life sciences inventions. Case studies, in particular for natural products, parameter ranges, crystal forms, diagnostics, and biological and medical methods
- Outlook on supplementary protection certificates and patent term extensions, exclusivities and their impact on claim drafting
- Drafting exercise based on exclusively prepared mock cases
- Specialized and/or complex EP claims
- Recent developments
- Where do claims go? Anticipating the future of claims and scope
- Intensive analysis
- Strategy for an effective response
- Examples from the practice
- Overview over the procedures and issues
- What do we know about the scope of a 'European claim'?
Jan's areas of technical expertise are the life sciences. Since 2000, he represents clients with a focus on strategic IP planning, the generation of IP portfolios, and the enforcement of IP rights. Jan is a member of the Biotechnology Committees of the Bar of German Patent Attorneys, a past president of the Life Sciences Commission of UNION-IP, and a member of the biotech committee of LES International. Since 2009 he teaches as an adjunct professor at the University of Washington, School of Law, Seattle (USA), and at the Paris-Lodron University in Salzburg, Austria.
This seminar will be conducted online and 'live'. Here you will find further information.
The seminar will be conducted on the Zoom platform by means of video and a presentation:
- You hear the presentations of the speakers and see the slides,
- You can see the speakers via webcam,
- You can ask questions using the chat, audio and video functions.
A few days before the seminar you will receive an email with the access data for Zoom and further instruction on who to access the meeting.
You can participate using the chat, audio and video functions on any device (PC, mac, notebook, tablet, iPhone and smartphone). All you need is:
>> speakers or headphones.
- You see and hear speakers and slides and can ask questions via chat.
>> A microphone and webcam are optional.
- You can ask questions and make contributions to the speakers, can hear the other participants
>> also via a webcam
- the speakers and the other participants can see you when you ask questions contribute to the discussion
You can test it already here: https://zoom.us/test.
You will receive the contact data for technical problems with your login data.
The seminar will take place on 11 June 2020 from 10:00 to 18:00 and on 12 June 2020 from 09:00 to 17:00. There are breaks of about 15 minutes during each of the sessions.
You should login between 09:45 and 08:45 so that the course can start with all participants at 10:00 and 09:00 o'clock.
For further questions please contact us by phone or e-mail.
The course will be conducted on our interactive learning platform: - You listen to the presentation of the speaker and see the slides, - You see the speaker and the other attendees via Webcam, - You can ask your questions per audio, per video or in the chat, - During the breaks, you will be able to socialize with the speaker and the other participants at virtual coffee tables.
You can participate using personal computer, laptop or mobile devices and you have at your disposal: - a loudspeaker - then you will able to see speakers and slides, to listen to the lecture and to ask questions via chat; - additionally a microphone or a headset then you will be able to ask questions to the speakers and make contributions to the discussion, all participants will be able to hear you; - additionally a webcam - then you will be able to see speakers and participants when asking questions and contributing to the discussion.
If you deal with electricity, physics or mechanics, please attend our respectiveclaim drafting course on the same days (webcode 20 06 186).
Learn in this hands-on course how to improve your patent portfolio management skills. Get more information and register here!
11. - 12.06.2020 in online
Our speaker will give you tips and tricks on EP claim drafting and will show you which pitfalls to avoid.
10. - 12.06.2020 in
This course is about the handling of Art 84 EPC: How to deal with clarity of claims in practice.
15.06.2020 in Amsterdam/Leiden
This course is about the handling of Art 56 EPC: How to deal with inventive step and the problem-solution approach in practice.
16.06.2020 in Amsterdam/Leiden
Bürokratie und warum wir Sie so lieben! Gestalten Sie sich ein einfaches, gleich verständliches und sofort umsetzbares Konzept. Erleichtern Sie sich Ihren praktischen Alltag im Gewerblichen Rechtsschutz.
25. - 26.06.2020 in Heidelberg